Monday, May 11, 2015

Looking for what's next? What about what's here?


My whole life I've always looked for what's next.  Asking questions like: What is the next chapter of life going to look like?  What am I going to do?  Who am I going to be?  Where am I going to go?  I have always been one to look to the future.  Optimistic that what's out there is better than what's here.  That there is some achievable milestone waiting out there for me that will finally fulfill me and allow me to be content in who I am.  A perfect moment that brings complete joy and satisfaction where I no longer have to deal with the stress, heartache, and emptiness that continually dwells within my soul.  But is this future a realistic expectation?  Something that will make me happy with who I am?  Is there an achievement in this world that can calm my longing heart to be full?  In short, the answer is no.

Looking ahead is not a bad idea.  In fact it is a great idea to look forward, to plan, and to work towards goals and achieve them.  It's an important part of our lives.  Time never sits still, so we are constantly moving forward and need to look to what the future may bring.  The problem is, we can't do that to escape what's here.  Nothing in this world can truly satisfy a desperate heart.  Nothing can completely fill us to the point of being whole.  The burdens of our daily lives will continue to be a heavy weight, if we keep trying to run to something we think is better.  That's what the future presents for me.  It seems like a solution to meeting my many needs.  A fix to the deeper issues I hide down deep.  I think if I can just find that job that "fits" me life will be great.  If I can just do what I was made for I will finally be happy.  It's a false hope.  An empty promise to myself, because the truth of it is, unless I allow God to satisfy my longings at this moment, on this day, what happens in the future will be meaningless.  If I don't allow Him to fill me now, the things I seek to fulfill will only be a glimpse of joy during a continuous life of painful emptiness.

You see, what's next is not what God is most concerned about.  He doesn't ever wait for us to achieve a certain status before welcoming us into His arms.  He meets us where we're at, right now, in this moment, always.  It doesn't matter what my earthly status is or becomes.  It doesn't matter if I'm the CEO or the Janitor.  God doesn't care as much about what you do, as he does about who you are and who you are becoming.  Now I do believe that God does have a plan for me, and has created me uniquely to fulfill the tasks He has set out for me to accomplish, but without Him being what fulfills me, the tasks I complete aren't for Him.  God calls to do everything in this life as if we are doing it for Him, because, in reality, we are.  Every Christians calling is to have an intimate relationship with their creator, that grows in depth day by day, as we let Him enter in and lead us to where He wants us to go.  So lets stop looking ahead because it seems to satisfy a missing piece within us, and realize that missing piece is standing there waiting to fill us at this moment, right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment