Tuesday, February 25, 2014

No oxygen up there

     During Christmas break, I read a book called "Minus 148" about the first winter ascent of Mt. Mckinley.  It was a quick and fascinating read, but one that has constantly been on my mind ever since.  I continually asked myself while reading, "Why would anyone want to do this", while simultaneiously feeling this excitement inside me as each page turned.  The chance to stand on the top of Mckinley would excite even the faintest of heart.  However, what it takes to get there is why so many have said no.

     As much as I'd like to dream about it, I will never climb Mckinley.  To be frank, it'd scare the hell out of me.  I'm unwilling to put in the work and push aside the fear to get up there.  I'd love to just be dropped off on the top and be able to sit there for a few minutes, but not only would I die in a matter of seconds, but I imagine the thrill of sitting on top of something I didn't climb would make it a little less spectacular.

     A little over a week ago, I had one of these moments at DYC (a district youth conference for the CMA church).  God allowed me to sit on the top of Mt. Mckinley, if only for a moment, with my students and see the work he had done in their lives and mine of the last year.  It was incredible!  All the work that had been done, all the challenges, frustrations, joys, and sorrows came together for this moment.  I was on top of the mountain, and boy did I want to stay.  Everything we had gone through was worth it.  I have learned over the years, however, that these times and experiences do not last forever.  God has shown me that these moments give us a chance to view where we've been and prepare us for where we are going. 

     You see, there is always another mountain to be conquered in our lives with Christ, and a valley to go through to get there.  Each one leading to another, each one going higher and higher.  There is no life at the top of the mountain, no air to breathe, no sustainability.  Life is in the valley.  The mountains of our life are long valleys that lead to a peak.  Each time we grow deeper with our creator so we are able to climb back down and look up at our new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment